Friday, June 15, 2012

Fort Brassica - Mk 2

You'll perhaps remember Fort Brassica last year?  An attempt to keep (heavy self-censorship in operation here) pigeons off the brassicas.  Well, a bit of a curate's egg.  Good in parts.  It certainly kept the pigeons off and the basic design is sound.  Unfortunately I used bird netting on it which, while it kept pigeons out, allowed cabbage white butterflies through.  They did what they do and my cabbages were decimated anyway.  I think that's called "Good plan, didn't work".

So this year it's all a bit more refined, or refained (as we don't say up 'ere in 't North).  Same basic design but using butterfly netting.   

A-ha!!!  Let's see the little beggars get through that.

And the first batch of leeks have gone in; 
 
I always feel I'm making progress when leeks go in (it's my North-east roots kicking in).

And finally, here are the grapevines looking.....young.  
 
But they're definitely growing, and there's no shortage of water for them at the moment!

4 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

We always use burtterfly netting on brassicas too. The odd one or two seem to find a way in occassionally but it isn't usually a problem as they seem to concentrate (if butterflies can) on escaping rather than laying eggs!

Gordon Mason said...

Fingers crossed

Tanya. said...

I only have butterfly netting...need to get the brassicas in the ground before I put it up though!!

I do have my leeks in though...and I'm praying for some decent weather to get me in the mood for more planting!

Gordon Mason said...

Yep, the one thing you can say about the weather at present is that it's consistent (bad!)