Monday, July 19, 2010

Well, it hasn't needed watering

Not long ago I was making daily visits to the allotment to avoid dust-bowl and blown-away syndrome (my Oklahoma home it blowed away). But that was then and this is now. Haven't had a day without rain for nearly two weeks now, and of course it rained on St Swithin's day. I'm not in the least bit superstitious but we do seem to be in a bit of a rut, weather-wise.

Anyway, how's the plot looking? Surprisingly good, if you aim off for the lack of weeding. I was afraid it might have all sprung back into rampant life and got away from me but it hasn't. I think it was so dry it's taken a little while to adjust back to dampness (like me, really). But if I don't weed it soon I'll have lost it until the frosts come. Hoe, Hoe, Hoe yer plot; that's the thing to do. Merrily, merrily etc.

But the beans are looking good


Both sorts


Here's a cheeky little gherkin trying not to show his face


And look at this chap.


I've got dozens just like him. Ya want blackberries; I've got blackberries. Aren't they beauties?

5 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

Looking forward to our blackberries oon but plenty of other berries to keep us going in the meantime

Unknown said...

blimey, our blackberries are only just thinking about forming - are we really in the same city !

The Boy Ollerton said...

Great allotment blog :) funny you should mention St Swithin's day! damn rain, can't even put my first raised bed in until it stops raining so I can paint it lol. Just got my allotment so doing a little diary myself. Will place a link to yours.

All the best, Craig.
www.dykesedge.blogspot.com

Damo said...

Those blackberries look great, pie or crumble?

Gordon Mason said...

Sponge pudding actually! With the remainder (quite a big remainder) boiled with a bit of sugar, mashed with a potato masher, sharpened with a shot-glass of red wine, and reduced down to quite the sauciest, blackberryest sauce I've ever had. Yummy.