Sunday, June 14, 2009

I never lets that hoe rest

'Tis the only way to keep things tidy. But even so, 'tis a constant struggle.

And this week we've had torrential rain and serious flooding again in Sheffield. Not quite as bad as 2007 but quite bad enough. Made watering the allotment a bit superfluous for a few days!

Anyway, how goes it with the plot?

Beans in (Runner & Climbing French). Kale and Sprouts in, Cucumber and knobby Italian Courgette in. Netting up for Morning Glory to scramble up (first time I've grown them). Bit of a show, what?

Blackberries look good. Potatoes look good, especially as I'm not growing any this year; these are all volunteers from where I didn't clear it out properly last year. Better a volunteer than a pressed man.

And finally, just to demonstrate that an allotment can be a thing of beauty as well as a list of vegetables (altho some of them are things of beauty too (look at this cabbage) here's a rose.

Sithee, as we say in Yorkshire.

1 comment:

Nutty Gnome said...

Humf! I know all about the grotty weather - it took Himself over 2 hours to get home from Rotherham the other day because so many bits of Sheffield were flooded!

I haven't needed to do much watering either - mind you, quite a few of my crops have either drowned by the rain or been frazzled by the heat so I'm feeling a tad discontent with yon weather at the moment!