Saturday, February 14, 2009

Too cold to transplant, says Aladdin

I've bought the first plug plants of the year Geraniums of course, and Bidens, Fuschia & Surfinia Petunias.Buying small in February means I get lots for the money and can grow them on in the conservatory so that when it's proper planting-out time I've got loads of big healthy plants. That's the plan and it usually works. Even better if I had a greenhouse.

But, having bought them, I can't transplant them for a day or two. The compost has been in the shed so is perishing cold. I've filled the seed trays with compost and left it to warm up for a day or so before I dare plant the plugs.

In the meantime, here they are. The paraffin lamp beside them is an original Aladdin, at least 60 years old and a family heirloom.
It was the only source of light in the first house I can remember as a child. Even in my teens when we were living in a council house (without central heating) that lamp was placed in the bathroom an hour before anyone wanted a bath, just to warm the room up (a bit).

Even now, it's very handy in power cuts and you can still get a full range of spare parts for it.

2 comments:

Nutty Gnome said...

I love the paraffin lamp - my first marital 'home' was a Land Rover (we went travelling - long story!) and had a trusty paraffin lamp, but it wasn't as pretty as your Aladdin!
I'm very envious of your organisational skills in buying plug plants now to pot on. I've only just got round to thinking about plants and seeds! Ho Hum!

Bob said...

I think my mum still has one of those. I certainly remember them from when I was a kid. Its funny that you mention the central heating, we never had any of that either, but I don't remember being cold. My parents house still doesn't have central heating, I have to confess to feeling the cold a bit more now though when I go to stay with them. Bob.