Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mon Aug 18th 2008

Not a great start to the Following David Douglas adventure. Hurt back (again) on the day before departure then, minutes before departure, found car had a flat tyre. Train to airport, long flight to Toronto (pronounced Tronno locally) and a delayed flight on to Winnipeg. Arrived Winnipeg 12.15 am (or 6.15 am body clock time). What does the song say? "Things can only get better"

August 19th, 1827

After having everything [his seed and plant collections] packed up by ten a.m. embarked in Mr Bird's boat and descended the river. Camped twenty five miles below; country low, swampy, trees small. Found nothing different from what I had seen before. In the evening at my usual work changing and drying papers.

3 comments:

sewhidbey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sewhidbey said...

Hello:
I live on Whidbey Island in the Pacific Northwest and am editing DD's journals for publication with a native-plant expert and a typographer and book designer.
I found a record of what I believe may be your work as a Winston Churchill Travelling Fellow in 2001-02, however the Lindley Library of the Royal Horticultural Society has the author as Gordon Mason.
I would very much like to correspond with you, read your work, and invite you to visit us if you get as far as Washington State.
Thank you,
Sue Ellen White
sewhidbey@gmail.com

Gordon Mason said...

Hi Sue

Gordon Mason is me (Woody Wilbury is my blogging name!!). Good to hear from you; I'll be in touch more comprehensively when we get back out of the bush (cuurently stormbound at York Factory; there may be a new post soon)

Regards

Gordon (aka Woody)