Monday, January 02, 2012

2011 - Good Year or Disaster?

On balance, a Good Year.

Things I'd been on the point of giving up on finally came good.

So who was in the Hall of Fame? Step forward proudly:

Plums, Sloes, Onions, Asparagus, Strawberries. Leeks were good too, but then they always are.

And I finally gave it all some much-needed manure. Need some more now!

And who was in the Hall of Shame? Slink forward with your heads hung low:

Peas, Beans (a pretty mixed year for everyone I think), Cucumbers (what were you thinking of, Cucumbers?; pathetic) and Kale. I really miss not having Kale (yeah, I know, get a life) but a combination of me sowing it late, it germinating slowly and Cabbage Whiteys feasting on it meant it never made it through the summer.

But 2012 will be better. It's gotta be; I'm retired now. No excuses; Onward and Upward!!!

2 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

Peas - what are they I've forgotten?

WE always use insect proof netting on out brassicas - protects from the pigeons too.

Gordon Mason said...

Yep, I think I'm going to have to do the same. I used bird netting very successfully to keep pigeons off but of course it had no deterrent effect on the Cabbage Whiteys at all!!!